Midas in Fortnite isn’t just a random character. Epic have made countless mythological references to his real-life story.
Midas looks to be the central character in Fortnite Season 2. He’s the man behind the rumored Doomsday device and the gilded bunkers around the yacht.
According to leaked footage of Midas’ agent locker, he’s also been collecting helmets from past seasons of Fortnite. He has heads of the Black Knight, Chaos Agent, and many more players from the history of Fortnite.
Epic teased Midas and his gold touch before Season 2 came out. Many fans expected him and weren’t surprised to see that he was the tier-100 skin.
Apart from that and his role in furthering the Fortnite Chapter 2 plot, we didn’t think much of him. According to one dedicated Reddit user, though, his references go much deeper than most players expected.
The references to the mythological King Midas can be seen in several locations of the Season 2 map all the way down to particular tattoos on the Midas skin.
This from u/Koooooomar on Reddit image is a lot to digest, so let’s break down some of the more substantial points:
- The pottery from the shark resembles the pottery found in King Midas’ tomb.
- The mythological Midas saw his reflection as a gold skeleton – AKA Oro.
- Gold represents the Sun and the description of the Radiant Mantle back bling mentions an “ancient star.”
- The mythological representation of the sun matches the Oro skin.
- Midas has several tattoos that represent ancient Greek mythology and, of course, gold.
- A statue of Atlas can be seen at The Agency.
- The Lovethorn skin could be a reference to King Midas’ daughter, whom he also turned gold.
- Midas’ daughter was named Marigold, which is the name on the side of The Yacht
- Midas turned his cat into gold – referencing Meowscles.
As we said, it’s a lot to digest. This player went deep on the mythological references, and they probably haven’t even found all of them.
Will all of this be important to the Fortnite Season 2 plotline? Probably not. It serves as a testament to how intentional Epic were with their references.
Midas’ total effect on the Fortnite map remains to be seen. He has something big planned, which may lead to the first plot-driven live event of Fortnite Chapter 2.
All of this is likely supplemental lore that was waiting for someone to find. Epic have gone similarly far with their Season 5 lore – incorporating the real world into Fortnite. Let’s see where all of this takes us.