After weeks of anticipation, Epic Games have finally added cars into the game as the headline attraction in the August 5 Fortnite v13.40 update.
Dataminers first released the news that vehicles would be coming to the game early in Chapter 2 Season 3, and were expected to arrive in v13.30, only for Epic to confirm that they had been delayed.
Finally, we can start our engines and get ready to cruise around the island, with the August 5 patch on PC, Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and mobile devices putting the keys in our hands as Joy Ride vehicles make their long-awaited debut in the game.
Joy Ride vehicles
Of course, the headline addition in this patch is the introduction of cars, giving players a new way to rotate around the island in search of Victory Royales.
Four vehicles will be coming in this update,: A sedan called Prevalent. a pick-up truck named Bear, a truck with the name Mudflap, and a sportscar that goes by the name Whiplash. Vehicles will come with 500 health, meaning you should be able to take some damage while driving round before it explodes.
Of course, they will go bang should you get too much though, dealing 800 damage to structures and anywhere between 50 to 200 damage to players depending how close you’re standing at the moment it explodes.
Of course, you can’t go on a roadtrip across the Fortnite map without some tunes to enjoy, so Epic Games have introduced radio stations so you always have some music to listen to while you zoom across the map.
The tracks featured on these stations have yet to be confirmed, but it appears there is some copyrighted-music, as in an email to content creators the developers confirmed there would be a ‘copyright-safe; playlist to help streamers avoid getting in trouble.
As always, Epic Games are fixing some bugs and glitches in the v13.40 patch, with a number of issues mentioned on their official Trello board as now fixed. You can view the full list below, including Slow Glider problems, and some bugs with Season 3 Quests.
- Inability to edit floors and roofs at certain angles.
- ‘Lock Input Method as Mouse’ does not lock the input method.
- Mouse cursor appearing on PC when playing with controller.
- Placing a map marker cancels movement.
- Replays not saving on PlayStation 4.
- Water Balloon Toy temporarily disabled.
- Slow Glider speed after redeploying in certain situations.
- XP bar can be visually incorrect while in match / incorrect leveling-up.
- Ocean’s Bottomless Chug Jug unable to be picked up while recharging if dropped by another player.
- “Deal damage within 10s of landing from the Whirlpool at Hydro 16” should say “at the Yacht” instead.
- “Land at Frenzy Farm/The Yacht and finish Top 25” not counting in Duos/Squads.
- Arena Island progress reset soon.
- Billboards broken in islands that used Roboto.
- Multi-selected items do not rotate properly on grid snap.
- Crash on consoles when renaming a device.
- Storm circles updated (via Hypex):
- Starting Radius: from 24 to 23
- Shrink Time: from 240 seconds to 210
- Wait Time: from 200 seconds to 170
- Marauders updated:
- Bandage drop rate from 50% to 25%
- Stink Grenade drop rate from 50% to 75%
- Stink Grenade drop stack from 3 to 6