Fortnite update 12.50 is officially live, and despite not doing much with regard to gameplay, its tweaks have big competitive ramifications. The Heavy Sniper and PC aim assist got nerfed, and there seems to be a new mode called Party Royale. Read our unofficially compiled patch notes below.
Fortnite Update 12.50 Patch Notes
- Risky Reels is now a named location: If you see a grayed out area on the Chapter 2 map, that’s what it is.
- Party Royale mode incoming: Party Royale is a new experimental and evolving space. Leave your weapons and mats behind. We plan to run some tests here this Friday @ 9 p.m. EST. These are subject to change, but feel free to come by and check it out.
- Heavy Sniper Nerf: 150 > 126 damage body shot but can still one-shot builds.
- PC Controller Aim Assist Nerf: Everything will operate at 60hz just like console controller aim assist.
- Players can no longer access My Island settings while in a game.
- Fixed an issue where players cannot activate or deactivate phase mode using a controller.
- Fixed an issue where players can respawn in game modes that has one elimination per round.
Creative Tools + Phone
- Fixed an issue where phone tool settings would be ignored when placing prefabs or gallery items from the quickbar.
- Fixed an issue where the Cost Preview for items placed from the quickbar were not showing the proper cost on first placement of asset types.
- Fixed an issue where players would be able to access the phone tool after placing a spawn plate outside of the island volume.
- Fixed an issue where “Open” and “Add to Quick Bar” settings bound to the same button when building with a Controller in the Content Browser.
- Fixed an issue where a previously selected player built structure preview appears when selecting the hotkey to build traps while holding the phone tool.
- Fixed an issue where the search bar loses focus when words are added then deleted.
- Fixed an issue where some assets had overly bright background in the Inventory.
- Fixed an issue where a copied asset would lock in place after a player fell.
Prefabs & Galleries
- Added the Lily Pad to Slurp Swamp Prop Gallery
- Added a Shrub and Lily Pad to Nature Shrub Gallery
- Added two different wooden roof corners to the Pueblo Gallery
- Fixed an issue where the coloring of the tiles from the Snow & Mud Floor Gallery would not visibly match up.
- Fixed an issue where an unselectable Coconut would spawn after destroying the palm tree when placing the “Paradise Palms Hotel Pool.”
- Fixed an issue where some of the assets, from the Frenzy Farm Prop Gallery, had too high of health.
- Fixed an issue where the wood destruction effect appears when the Fire Pit is destroyed.
- Fixed an issue where some assets from the Diner Prop Gallery and Frenzy Farm Prop Gallery are not fully in the preview volume.
- Fixed an issue where a wall section was rotated the wrong way, in the Frenzy Farm House Prefab.
- Fixed items spawned from various devices not firing their pickup transmitters if they were combined with another item that wasn’t dropped from a spawner device.
- Fixed an issue where the Class Selector would block line of site visibility of the Perception trigger.
- Fixed an issue where Capture Area colors would not update when a player would switch teams.
- Fixed an issue where the Speaker device would not be activated by a Sequencer Device if set to Not Visible in game.
- Fixed an issue where Trick Tiles would trigger at the beginning of a game, if the player switching to the safe team was standing on it prior to the game starting.
- Fixed an issue where Button Devices could not be interacted with when “Visibility During Games” is set to “Off.”
- Fixed an issue where the Perception trigger would not respect team settings.
- Fixed an issue where items equipped to an Item Spawner Plate had low res when viewed from a distance.
- Fixed an issue where the “Invert Airborne Control” settings on the “X-4 Stormwing Spawn” would not be respected in game.
- Fixed an issue where the “Breakthrough Health Threshold” and “Direct Hit Health” settings on the “X-4 Stormwing Spawn” would not function in game.
UI + Social
- Fixed an issue where the Power Ups would not appear in the Channel Browser.
- Fixed an issue where Button Devices would not show up in the Channel Browser.
- Fixed an issue where the Color Changing Tiles would not show up in the Channel Browser.
- Fixed an issue where the player’s score HUD was duplicated in the minigame.
- Fixed an issue where the game start screen was missing the SAC and details button.
- Fixed an issue where some individual asset icons were showing with an overexposed lighting effect.
- Fixed an issue with a faulty icon, on the Customizable Light Gallery Torch.
- Framerate and resolution drops in v12.41
- Local Challenges not appearing when entering a new area
- “Block damage with a Kingsman” Challenge not tracking progress
Save the World
- Surround Pound’s heavy attack may not deal damage to husks
- Players may be swapped to their pickaxe when using an ability that’s on cooldown
- Stormking Onslaught Projectiles are not functioning correctly
- Players may become stuck in a previous Dungeons zone while their teammates are in the next one
- Psylocke’s Pickaxe does not swing properly
- Video playback disabled on Android
- Extra Build buttons display Wall icons
- Ping marker displays 0m
In other words, while the changes in Fortnite update 12.50 may be difficult for players to spot on the surface, they have some pretty big implications for anyone enjoying the game right now. A Heavy Sniper nerf has been demanded by fans for quite some time, and it appears Epic has delivered in kind without totally neutralizing the point of this very powerful gun. Its body shots aren’t instant kill anymore, but aim at a head or structure and it still does serious damage. As for the aim assist adjustment, the shift to make PC controller aim assist identical to its console counterpart just makes sense. PC aficionados won’t like the tweak, but it makes great strides with regard to platform parity.
Perhaps the most interesting part of update 12.50, however, is what hasn’t been officially released yet. While we don’t quite know exactly what it entails, Party Royale sounds like something that straddles the line between Playground Mode and traditional Battle Royale. There will still be objectives to complete and things to do, but the pressure will be off in terms of building and trying to be the last surviving player in a given lobby. If the above leak is correct, we’ll hopefully hear more about this mysterious mode very soon.
Fortnite is available now on PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC and mobile. The 12.50 update is live now.
What are your thoughts on the Heavy Sniper and aim assist nerfs? Is Fortnite update 12.50 everything you expected it to be? Tell us in the comments section!